On 5/27 Express clubs will be staffed until 12pm & can be accessed anytime using keycards. All other clubs will operate regular hours.

Merritt Clubs Blog

Blog Home Group Fitness Wellness Nutrition Training Workout Tips
home [#000000] Created with Sketch. home
Merritt Clubs Blog
To work out or not to work out during the holidays?

To work out or not to work out during the holidays?

Tis the season for in-laws, sugar infused children, butter and skipping workouts. Most of us have a hard time deciding whether to postpone our fitness goals until after the holidays or to stick it out and hold steady. To me, there is an obvious choice. Honestly, you owe it to yourself and everyone around you to stay focused on your health this holiday season.

When we keep our bodies in a routine we manage stress more efficiently, we sleep better, communicate more effectively and function better overall. Most people gain 2 pounds over the holiday season, a much smaller number than the misreported 10 pound gain, however, it is not the weight we gain which is the most damaging during this time, but the unhealthy habits we encourage that do us in come January first.

So how do you survive the holidays AND keep up a fitness routine? I won’t give you some sugar plum promise, because no, it’s not easy. However, things worthwhile hardly ever are. It takes planning, commitment and gusto. But if you stick it out, you will be ready to start the new year already winning.

Here are some tips to keep you on track.

  1. Create a family challenge. Go old school and put up a sticker chart. Everyone, to include kids, are challenged to complete 20 minutes of sweat inducing movement a day. When you complete your 20 you get to put a sticker up on the chart.
  2. Tell everyone on your social media feed that you are committing to sticking to your exercise routine throughout the season and ask them to hold you accountable to it. Better yet, look for social media challenges to keep you on track.
  3. Create a vision board for 2016 now and post it where you can see it. This should include motivational quotes and images to inspire you.
  4. Are you a member of a gym? Hire a trainer to hold you accountable through the most wonderful time of the year.
  5. Stick to the 90% rule. Your daily intake should be 90% clean and healthy… leaving 10% of peppermint flavored wiggle room for cheat items a day.

The best gift you can give yourself is to start today and to recommit to your goals every morning you wake up.  Remind yourself that good habits are much better than resolutions. And that you are worth it.

Post By:

Loreli DeLeon
Personal Training Manager
Merritt Athletic Clubs – White Marsh
410-773-9007 ext. 5533
ldeleon@merrittclubs.com

Previous

Next